Friday, January 21, 2011

I will Sing!

"Sing to the Lord a new song, sing to the Lord all the earth. Sing to the Lord, praise His name, proclaim His salvation day after day. Declare His glory among the nations, his marvelous deeds among all peoples, For great is the Lord and most worthy of praise;" Psalm 96:1-4

Growing up in a musical family, I loved to play piano, guitar, sing, dance, and do anything involving making music. My brothers and I would harmonize and sing until the late hours of the morning if we could talk our mother into it. She didn't always like us staying up late, but I suspect her own love for music convinced her on occasion.

When I became lost in the downward spiral of addiction I stopped singing. My depression and despair became so great that I lost my voice. Looking back, it was probably that singing gives me great joy. It is something I believe God gives us as a gift, which is to be used to worship Him and exalt Him. Because I was not in His will, I had no use for making a 'new song'. My joy did not exist-only a false shell of worldly possessions, overrated hypes and highs, and long periods of loneliness.

After I came back to the Lord, I wanted to sing. And sing, and sing, and sing. He has saved me and set me free and I will praise Him with my voice wholeheartedly. What a blessing it is to know that my children are also a part of this musical ministry that has been growing inside my soul. Pray for my kids, if you will, that they never have to lose the song in their heart.