Thursday, December 16, 2010

Rollercoaster

When I was younger, I used to think how much fun it would be to ride on the big scary rollercoasters. Now that I am living in California and actually have opportunity to partake in the thrill of feeling yourself tipped upside down and your stomache coming in to your throat, I realize its not as much fun as I imagined it would be as a little girl.

Neither is being an adult. Being now in my thirties, I realize we all have to own the fact that we are responsibile for the choices we make: what we say, what we do, the look on our face, even our body language, can all communicate with the people around us. Our actions, whether verbal or not, reflect the person we are. If we are to call ourselves Christian, than we should act like Jesus does. Sometimes this is easier said than done.

It's so easy to get stressed out over little things. We all have multiple things going on in our lives. Right now, we are in the midst of a busy Christmas season at the corps I am helping the Salvation Army at this month. On top of that, Kylie has 2 parties to go to of friends this week, Daylen had a birthday party last week, his Christmas program yesterday at school, and we were at Kylie's high school choir concert until after 10:30 PM last night. There is laundry and dishes, and of course, with Christmas around the corner, presents to wrap and cards to send out.

My point? I have been in the midst of an emotional rollercoaster. I have so much on my mind, I am not thinking straight, and my attitude and snippity comments have been unbecoming of a Christian woman. Thankfully, God has blessed me with a wonderful husband who so kindly points these things out when I am spinning straight down. . . God works like that sometime. Praise the Lord I have a sincere dedicated devotion time each and every day to come back to the fellowship and be ministered by the presence of Jesus. Sadly, I am feeling a bit ashamed at some of my recent behaviors, but God is so faithful and grants me grace. Because of this, I can be empowered to seek forgiveness from those I've been short with and move past the drama.

Having a solid foundation in Christ is key to when you may be pestered, frustrated, upset, or find yourself in your own personal whirlwind. Maybe you're going up and down and around on a rollercoaster like I've been, or perhaps you feel as though you're on a ship sinking. Casting Crowns has a song called "Praise You in this Storm". No matter the circumstance we find ourself in, we must remember that God is with us, and if we seek HIS peace and strength, we can overcome anything.

Yesterday, I met a family who had nothing. The dad and mom were unemployed. They had no toys for their kids, yet the three children seemed genuinely happy because they were together, had clothing and food, and parents who loved them. They smiled big at me and got excited when I invited them to church. Later that day, I went to pick up some toys from the AAA building and met a lady who had organized the Angel tree drive for 5 years for her company. Despite the fact her transmission had gone out on her car and she had no money for her own three children's presents, she was completley rejoicing in being able to rally the support and toys for the Salvation Army's less fortunate children.

I believe these folks are resting on the promises of God and have real joy and hope because of a firm foundation in Him. Let us all learn a lesson from those who can smile still, despite any tumultous times.

"I will show you what it’s like when someone comes to me, listens to my teaching, and then follows it. It is like a person building a house who digs deep and lays the foundation on solid rock. When the floodwaters rise and break against that house, it stands firm because it is well built." Luke 6:47-48 NIV